Nuklear Power Forums  

Go Back   Nuklear Power Forums > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

 
  Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #41
Fifthfiend
for all seasons
 
Fifthfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,409
Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve.
Send a message via AIM to Fifthfiend
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHand Prime View Post
Except that this interpretation of the scientific progress assumes that everyone is playing by the rules. Let's go over some of the basic reasons why they don't.

1) Scientists are people.
2) People want money.
3) Scientists largely get money from grants.
4) Grants are controlled by politicians.
5) Politicians decide who to give grants to based on who is saying what they want to hear.

Then there's the basic underlying fact that humans want to think they're more powerful than they are.
Holy fuck I was hoping for this post.

God yes thank you for sharing your view that scientists are financially biased which is why they put forward views which run contrary to the preferences of the wealthiest and most politically powerful fucking interests in the world.

Now I can completely not take you seriously at all, this is fantastic.
__________________
check out my buttspresso
Fifthfiend is offline Add to Fifthfiend's Reputation  
Old 06-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #42
GodHand Prime
Goomba
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
GodHand Prime is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthfiend View Post
No seriously get back to the part where every climate scientist in the world is lying and only ___________________ will tell us the truth, man.
Not every climate scientist. Every climate scientist that the news and politicians point to. As I pointed out, the best experts in the world are among those not invited to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosen
We're pumping over 400 years' worth of carbon into the atmosphere every year and it's increasing every year.

I mean, a liter of water every day is incredibly beneficial to you, but 400 liters per day seems like a bit of a strain.
Compare this to what the ocean emits. Or a volcano.

The amount of CO2 humanity puts into the air is inconsequential.
GodHand Prime is offline Add to GodHand Prime's Reputation  
Old 06-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #43
GodHand Prime
Goomba
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
GodHand Prime is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthfiend View Post
Holy fuck I was hoping for this post.

God yes thank you for sharing your view that scientists are financially biased which is why they are all putting forward views which run contrary to the preferences of the wealthiest and most politically powerful fucking interests in the world.

Now I can completely not take you seriously at all, this is fantastic.
Yeah, because wealthy people have no interest in stifling overseas competition at all.

EDIT: It's simple economics. If you punish everybody in the business, you end up seriously helping the biggest players in the business, because they can afford to take the hit, and they'd really love to take the marketshare from the guys who can't.
GodHand Prime is offline Add to GodHand Prime's Reputation  
Old 06-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #44
Fifthfiend
for all seasons
 
Fifthfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,409
Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve.
Send a message via AIM to Fifthfiend
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHand Prime View Post
Yeah, because wealthy people have no interest in stifling overseas competition at all.
Yeah nice try but you're arguing from Trollsville in the great state of Fantasyland, street address 323 I Have No Clue What I'm Talking About Lane. The only serious question here whether your apparent belief that there has not been enormously more money and political power put into denying the existence of global warming than has ever been put into arguing for it it is only completely ignorant or whether it's also outright dishonest.
__________________
check out my buttspresso
Fifthfiend is offline Add to Fifthfiend's Reputation  
Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #45
GodHand Prime
Goomba
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
GodHand Prime is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthfiend View Post
Yeah nice try but you're arguing from Trollsville in the great state of Fantasyland, street address 323 I Have No Clue What I'm Talking About Lane. The only serious question here whether your apparent belief that there has not been enormously more money and political power put into denying the existence of global warming than has ever been put into arguing for it it is only completely ignorant or whether it's also outright dishonest.
Yeah, forget that I have two relevant degrees. I disagree with your sensationalized, completely misinformed opinion, so I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about.
GodHand Prime is offline Add to GodHand Prime's Reputation  
Old 06-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #46
Aerozord
So we are clear
 
Aerozord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Former murder capital of the world
Posts: 13,175
Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Send a message via AIM to Aerozord Send a message via MSN to Aerozord Send a message via Yahoo to Aerozord
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHand Prime View Post
Compare this to what the ocean emits. Or a volcano.

The amount of CO2 humanity puts into the air is inconsequential.
what? I mean seriously, what are you talking about. Humans produce more CO2 then every other source combined, including the other animals on the planet. Plus deforesting gets rid of the stuff that gets rid of it
__________________
"don't hate me for being a heterosexual white guy disparaging slacktivism, hate me for all those murders I've done."
Aerozord is offline Add to Aerozord's Reputation  
Old 06-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #47
GodHand Prime
Goomba
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
GodHand Prime is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerozord View Post
what? I mean seriously, what are you talking about. Humans produce more CO2 then every other source combined, including the other animals on the planet. Plus deforesting gets rid of the stuff that gets rid of it
Completely and utterly false. The ocean governs most of the natural CO2 cycle, and dwarfs everything humans do.

EDIT: I can see where you'd get that idea, as we're constantly bombarded by sensational stories about the massive impact of human CO2 emissions, but it just ain't so.
GodHand Prime is offline Add to GodHand Prime's Reputation  
Old 06-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #48
Azisien
wat
 
Azisien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,136
Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHand Prime View Post
Yeah, forget that I have two relevant degrees. I disagree with your sensationalized, completely misinformed opinion, so I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about.
So what?

I have a relevant degree. All my professors probably had bigger relevant degrees than you. For all your high education, you sure do not post citations or actual statistics.

Human CO2 output is inconsequential? I think during your degree you should have studied equilibrium. Yes, the ocean's output is larger than human output (by 10-15 fold or so). However, the ocean is also packed with cyanobacteria constantly pumping out oxygen to roughly equilibrate.

Although comparable to the entire globe human output is still small, not only is it continually growing (and just imagine if every country in the world was industrialized like America is as per Godhand's fantasy world of haze and death smog), but we do not have any oxygen equilibrating process to match our output. While small, we tip the scale, and we tip it fast.

That and we're slaughtering the ocean's cyanobacteria, chopping down our rainforests, and just generally killing things, which destroys further oxygen production. I guess on the plus side if we eat ALL the fish, they won't be doing pesky things like breathing anymore.

EDIT: And the point is that the change is also occurring fast. While I'm not convinced humanity would be utterly destroyed, I don't think any of us can really know how dark the tunnel gets. The planet and its inhabitants requires evolutionary time scales to adapt to planetary-scale changes.

Also, volcanoes? Yeah I'll need to see proof of that. Eruptions have been monitored for decades with no noticeable increase in CO2, they'd be inconsequential to human output. The biggest, most fantastic volcanoes ever in the history of the world can affect climate, sure, but through processes other than just CO2.

Last edited by Azisien; 06-16-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Azisien is offline Add to Azisien's Reputation  
Old 06-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #49
Fifthfiend
for all seasons
 
Fifthfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,409
Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. Fifthfiend has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve.
Send a message via AIM to Fifthfiend
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHand Prime View Post
Yeah, forget that I have two relevant degrees. I disagree with your sensationalized, completely misinformed opinion, so I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about.
Ha ha ha ha ha, the claim of Internet Expertness is made even better due to being completely irrelevant to the point being made.

Oh gosh you have a degree I guess that means oil and energy companies haven't spent shitloads of money over the course of decades on lobbying and PR efforts to oppose action on global warming. All those Exxon-funded think tanks and shit? Imaginary!

You are seriously the funnest troll we have had in ages, I strongly encourage you to keep digging yourself deeper.

...But hey maybe you're right there are loads of massively powerful and wealthy interests with an incentive to push for action on global warming, which explains why we have done pretty much jack shit about global warming for decades. Cause we all know how when massively powerful and wealthy interests want something to happen, what you can absolutely count on is it not being done!

I mean I guess it's awesome that the MASSIVE conspiracy to make people believe in global warming has succeeded in like... getting some people to listen to Al Gore do a Powerpoint presentation. The bastards!
__________________
check out my buttspresso
Fifthfiend is offline Add to Fifthfiend's Reputation  
Old 06-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #50
Aerozord
So we are clear
 
Aerozord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Former murder capital of the world
Posts: 13,175
Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Aerozord can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Send a message via AIM to Aerozord Send a message via MSN to Aerozord Send a message via Yahoo to Aerozord
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHand Prime View Post
Completely and utterly false. The ocean governs most of the natural CO2 cycle, and dwarfs everything humans do.
you seem to be confusing air born CO2 with dissolved CO2. Algea can pump out all the CO2 it wants and it wont affect climate.
__________________
"don't hate me for being a heterosexual white guy disparaging slacktivism, hate me for all those murders I've done."
Aerozord is offline Add to Aerozord's Reputation  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.
The server time is now 05:57:08 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.